Monday 17 June 2013

Get 1 TB on Flickr photo sharing service

Flickr is very popular for storing photos securely in the cloud. And one good news is that, Flickr now offers 1 TB (Terabyte) of free storage space, so now you can store for than 500,000 pictures having resolution of 6.5 megapixel. 



If we compare it with Google Drive and Dropbox which offer 5 GB and 2 GB respectively space of free storage then we realize that moving to Flickr (for photo storage) is much better option. Flickr offers 200 times more space but only one restriction and that is the size of a single picture should be less than 200 MB. But only professional photographers should be having that kind of requirement as they need to work with RAW format photo files. Where as many people like me which usually clicks photo with a digital camera having resolution of 12 megapixel will be happy to use the services of Flickr.


So now I can upload my whole collection of digital pictures to Flickr and even after doing so I think I will have hundreds of MB free and even if you have shortage of space then you can make another account of your spouse or your sibling. And the most important thing that I like about Flickr is that it also allows you to set your choice of privacy settings on your albums. So you can make search visibility of your pictures as “hidden” and thus no one else would be able to search or view your pictures stored on your Flickr account.


Now, you have options to upload pictures via a web browser or a desktop software. I usually prefer desktop software that is the official Flickr desktop uploader as I have more than hundred pics to upload at a time. So I cant afford to upload these pics via web browser as it needs attention every minute or so.


You also have drag and drop facility which is very easy to use. And also you have synchronization option available to automatic synchronize your pics on desktop and on Flickr account.


It would be nice if Google also offers 1 TB free of space in its product like Gmail or Picasa or Google Drive. As of now I am happy to stay with Flickr, but as I am a proud user of Google products, I am sure Google will soon provide some more space on cloud. Till then have fun with Flickr and keep uploading your valuable pics.